Well, by PCOS I mean Insulin Resistance. Studies show that up to 30% of women with PCOS have insulin resistance. I’m one of the lucky few… There is a lot of speculation that one may cause the other but so far it’s just a correlation connection.
When I don’t follow my diet, I feel almost drunk. I have a woolly head, it’s as if there’s a cloud behind my eyes. I’m clumsy. I’m in a daydream with no way to come back to reality. I’m not myself. However, when I do follow my diet I am my normal switched-on self. I am accurate at work. I feel like myself. It’s worth the effort to keep to the diet!
- 2 pieces of low-GI bread toasted with cheese melted on top.
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- One ready meal with extra chicken and spinach or
- One enormous salad (including spinach, chickpeas, olives and cucumber) with one full tin of tuna
Meal must revolve around vegetables and meat. I regularly have:
- Pizza but not eat most of the crust. Helios likes to eat the bones.
- Chicken stroganoff made in the slow cooker with brown rice or brown pasta and peas.
- Fish and chips with peas – heavy on the fish.
- Sausage and lentil stew made in the slow cooker. This is a great recipe with chicken broth, tomatoes, onion and carrots as well as sausage and lentils. I usually throw some thyme in for extra flavour.
- Burgers with salad
You get the idea. When I’m very strict, I aim to eat only 20 grams of carbohydrate per meal per day. I’m not always that strict. Sometimes I allow myself some fruit and yoghurt after the evening meal.
At the weekend I allow myself a bit more variety:
- Two pieces of low GI bread toasted with cheese melted on top with Mexican beans and an egg. Sometimes I add olives or jalapeno peppers as well. It may sound disgusting (and Helios thinks it looks and smells like cat/dog food) but I’m not allowed cereal nor anything fruity. I’ve discovered that the best way for me to control my symptoms starts with breakfast!
- Two pieces of low GI bread toasted with tuna or chicken or turkey and tomato and spinach. I am allowed mayonnaise and I have been known to use lashings of it in my sandwiches shaped like doorstops!
- Similar to any other evening. I don’t mind simple, straightforward meals during the day but I do feel the need for variety in the evenings. I like cooking and enjoy taking the time to make a full English roast or chicken parmesan. Delicious!